Wednesday, March 9, 2011

so what the heck do I eat????

I'm still pretty sick (I have bronchitis), so this blog will be short and sweet.

If you are trying to eat right but you have NO idea what that would look like here are a few little pointers that I've picked up from books like "Skinny Chicks Don't Eat Salads" by Christine Avanti, "Making the Cut" by Jillian Michaels, and "Total Body Make-over" by Bob Greene.  I've also learned from many personal trainer friends like Trey Mitchell and Robbyn Hensley.

First....
You need to be eating 6 small meals a day versus 3 large ones.
So, eat every 2 to 3 hours.

Second....
Eating is soooooo important.
If you are skipping meals, you are actually hindering weight loss.  When you skip meals and go for a long time without eating, your body goes into starvation mode and when you do finally eat, your body wants to store it instead of burn it.  Start with breakfast as early as you can so you can get your metabolism going!!!

Third....
You MUST drink water!!!!
You should be drinking at LEAST 1/2 your body weight in water each day to prevent dehydration.  You are more than likely dehydrated!!!
Example: I weigh 147.
I have to drink at least 74 ounces of water!
I have a large bottle and it holds about 24 ounces-- so I have to down at least 3 or 4 of those BIG bottles of water.

Other drinks like sodas are terrible!!!!!!!  Even diet ones.  They dehydrate you fool!!!

Fourth....
This one is sooooo important and is actually slightly complicated and I'm only going to give you the "dummy version" today.  It has a lot to do with something called a "glycemic index".  Take a second and just go read what a glycemic index is.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

Ok... after knowing that here is my advice.
You must eat a GOOD carb (low glycemic index) and a LOW FAT protein in every single meal or snack!!!!!!

Repeat: in order to be eating for weight loss, high energy, and controlled blood sugar throughout your day, try very hard to have a good carb and a low fat protein in EVERY MEAL or SNACK!!!

Here are a few examples I eat pretty regularly.

1.  Cup of PLAIN cheerios (carb) with low fat yogurt (protein)

2.  7 Low fat triscuits (carb) with a low fat string cheese (protein)

3.  Eggs or egg beaters (protein) and whole grain toast (carb)

4.  Fruit (carb) and low fat cottage cheese (protein)

5.  Sliced turkey (protein) on whole grain toast (carb)

6.  I drink tons of protein shakes made with almond milk (Muscle Milk is my fav)

7.  Chicken breast (protein) and veggies (carb)

There are TONS of combinations.  But the key is to keep everything low fat, low sugar, and NOT PROCESSED!!!!  The more organic you can go the better.

AND

Always try to keep the Carb/ Protein combo going in every meal or snack.  This will keep your blood sugar leveled through the day and you will not crash and feel all starved and deprived.

Now, don't let me do all the work for you!  Do a little research of your own.  Find some good recipes with low fat proteins and low glycemic index carbs and eat good!!!  :)

I've missed blogging with you!

Hopefully I'll be better soon!!!
Here's to not throwing my back out coughing!!!

Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. just found your blog ! look at you ms health guru! keep up the good work you definitely shine through with your words!

    ReplyDelete