Saturday, March 12, 2011

what do you have to give???

I am obviously very passionate about health and fitness.  So much so that anytime I go to blog, something about food or loosing weight or fitness just comes out.  That is totally fine.. there is nothing wrong with that.  Right???

The truth us there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with my excitement and passion for health and fitness.... however, I want to make sure I keep all things in my life in balance.  I was watching a t.v. show tonight while Wade had to go into work for a bit.  It was called Secret Millionaire.  The premise behind the show is that these millionaires go and volunteer with people or live in the "slums" of America and then surprise the people they meet with these huge checks to help them or their charity.  As I watched the show tonight I just bawled like a big baby.  There are some intensely HURTING people out there, intensely NEEDY people out there, intensely LONELY people out there... not just "out there" but maybe even next door to me.  I am so self absorbed.  I am so into my own life. 

So here is the deal....  I have to do my part more as a human being, and as a Christ follower.... especially as a Christ follower.  But the truth is, even people who are not Christians can and should be doing more for our fellow man. But if I want to live as Christ lived and he has given me free forgiveness and eternal life, I have not excuse to not be giving more of myself to others in desperate need.  No, I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to give to people right now, but I have soooooooooo much to give. 

I have.....
Time.
Love.
Prayers.
Work.
Effort.
Smiles.
Hugs.
Hand shakes.
Phone calls.
Visits.
Meals.
Drinks.
Effort.
Conversations.
and even a little bit of money

The bottom line is, if we would all just give of what we DO have, we can help each other so much.  There are people all around me who need things, and I need to wake up and realize that I am NOT the only person on the planet. 

Help me Jesus to give of what I do have WAY more regularly than I do now.
I am so selfish.
Change me Lord.

1 comment:

  1. Becca, this show sparked a conversation between Ryan and I last night. We were talking about how much we'll be able to give when I start working again...when we own our own business...etc etc. The part of the show that hit me the hardest was when Danny was visiting the "in-home bound" and one of the elderly ladies said more than the food she was given, she needed hugs. That just pulled on my heartstrings! How easy it is to forget that something as simple as a hug and five minutes talking about their life can turn their day around. I feel so inspired and challenged to get out and do something! Not years from now when we are financially "comfortable" but now. I like what you said. Everyone has something they can give. We just need to be more aware of what we have and the needs around us and give!

    ReplyDelete